The mail order, foreign bride, or international dating industry is huge, and it keeps on growing, year after year. There’s a huge demand for Western dating partners and husbands by Asian and Slavic women, but international dating goes beyond that.
People of any country, race, ethnicity, gender, or culture can finally find “The One” since they have access to a much bigger dating pool than relying only on the local talent or choosing a mail order (or foreign) bride in a catalog.
Interesting statistics emerge from international online dating sites and experiences. You may wonder how many people get married once they’ve found their soulmate via a dating platform and whether they are happily married.
Let’s have a look.
Reasons Why You Can Trust Us
A List of 30 Mail Order Marriage Statistics
We collected the most interesting mail order marriage data and facts for you:
General Mail Order Bride and Online Dating Statistics
1. It’s estimated that there are more than 8,000 mail order bride agencies, including online dating sites and matchmaking agencies worldwide. There may be 2,500 of these services in the U.S., with an additional 1,000 online dating sites being created every year.
2. Dating apps earned US$5.61 in revenue in 2021.
3. In 2021, there were nearly 325 million online dating app users, with 1 in 5 internet users in the U.S. using a dating platform.
4. The majority of online daters are looking for serious and long-term committed relationships.
5. Nearly 14% of online daters get engaged or married.
6. Online dating scams totaled US$304 million in 2020 and US$547 million in 2021, and this figure continues to increase every year.
A Look at Mail Order Marriages in the Past
7. According to the Center for Immigration Studies, in 1997, there were about 90 mail order bride agencies offering catalogs of approximately 25,000 beautiful women who were looking for a husband. On an annual basis, the mail order brides numbered around 100,000.
8. Most of the women in the 1997 report are from Russian or Filipino descent.
9. The same report stated that 10% of the women were successful in finding and marrying a man via the mail order bride service.
10. There were roughly 10,000 marriages annually, and of these, 4,000 were to American men. The rest of the husbands came from Canada, Australia, and Japan.
11. Most of the mail order brides three decades ago were 21 to 25 years old.
A Look at Mail Order Marriages Now
12. These days, online dating is highly popular with 50.8 million Americans using dating platforms to find their soulmate.
13. Statistica estimates that the number of online daters will increase to 52.2 million in 2023 and 53.3 million in 2024. Looking back half a decade reveals that there were only 28.9 online daters.
14. In 2019, Statistica asked online users in America who met a romantic partner via a dating site or app. 17% of the respondents answered that they have, while 30% replied that they know of someone who has met their love match online.
15. The research company also did a survey on the most popular reasons why online dating site users in the U.S. use these platforms. “To find an exclusive romantic partner” had the most responses at 54%, and this was followed by “to have something fun/interesting to do” at 34%, “to have casual sex” at 26%, and “to make platonic, non-romantic connections” at 25%.
Mail Order Marriage Statistics in the U.S.
16. According to the Pew Research Center, in 2015, nearly 20% of Americans had a spouse who’s of a different ethnicity or race, and they met via a mail order bride service or an online dating platform. This marks a fivefold increase since the 1960s.
17. The Pew Research Center report also found that intermarriage is more common among those who are college educated.
18. The report states that the most common ethnic or racial pairing among intermarried couples is white and Hispanic (42%), followed by white and Asian (15%), and white and multiracial (12%).
19. Among the intermarriage newlyweds, 18% of them are in their 30s, while 13% are 50 years old and older.
20. A 2020 Pew Research Center report stated that 12% of Americans have married or been in a serious relationship with someone they met via an online dating site.
21. The same report found that 55% of LGBTQIA+ Americans and 48% 18 to 29-year-old Americans have used an online dating platform, and roughly half of each group say they’ve been in a committed relationship or got married to the people they were dating online.
22. The report also stated that more than 50% of the respondents believe that having met someone online and being in a relationship with them can be as successful as traditional dating.
South Korean Mail Order Statistics
23. Intermarriages are popular in countries like South Korea, where there were 13,000 international marriages registered in 2021. In the previous year, there were 2,000 more intermarriages.
24. The most popular of “mail order brides” – or maybe we should say grooms – are American men. These grooms comprise 25% of all the foreign grooms in South Korea.
25. The intermarriage divorce rate is low, indicating that these unions are happy and successful ones.
Mail Order Bride Stats in Other Countries
26. Since Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got married, you may think that interracial relationships and marriages are quite common in the U.K. It turns out that these relationships only account for 7% in Wales and England.
27. Nippon.com reported that in 2016, nearly 15,000 Japanese men got married to foreign brides, while just more than 6,000 Japanese women married a foreign husband.
28. Of the foreign marriages in Japan, the majority of foreign wives were from China, followed by the Philippines, South Korea, and Thailand. Foreign husbands came from South Korea, the U.S., China, and various other countries.
29. Some of the countries with the highest mail order brides have also the lowest divorce rate. These countries are India, Chile, Colombia, and Mexico, with 1%, 3%, 9%, and 15% divorce rates respectively.
30. According to some studies, the success rate for mail order brides after 5 years is 80%.
Mail order brides (and grooms) are still as popular as ever; however, if we’re brutally honest, it seems that finding an international partner is the way to go.
Of course, there are still many people who marry their high school sweetheart, a colleague, or local friend, but it’s also true that your dating pool may be too small, depending on where you live.
And then, the only option to find your soulmate is to look in international waters via online dating sites and apps.
So if you are ready to find your foreign bride or groom, check out these 7 best international dating sites and apps!
Be sure to also check out my European (Meeting Eastern European Brides: The Guide to Slavic Dating) and Asian bride guides so you can learn more about the culture of your ideal romantic partner and get dating tips to help you start off on the right foot.
FOLLOW KRYSTYNA ON SOCIAL MEDIA