Being in a long-distance relationship can be an emotional rollercoaster. Your primary communication is through text messages, phone calls, and Zoom chats, but navigating your partner’s emotions can be tricky.
With a long-distance relationship, you’re unable to pick up on subtle hints through body language, and this can sometimes miss crucial telltale signs about how your partner is really feeling. Every relationship comes with its challenges (whether you’re face-to-face or across the ocean).
It’s hard to express what we feel fully, and that’s why I believe nothing says it better than a quote. These short and to-the-point bursts of wisdom and guidance are what we need in our trying moments.
Reasons Why You Can Trust Us
35 Best Quotes to Capture All the Feels of a Long-Distance Relationship
Long-distance relationships come with a flurry of emotions, from feelings of euphoria to moments of doubt and soul-crushing sadness.
Here are 35 of the best quotes that capture what it feels like to be in a long-distance relationship.
A Love So Strong, You Just Carry On
People may ask you how you make your long-distance relationship work, and you might even find yourself asking that exact question when things get complicated. When you love someone and know they’re the one, you make it work and take it one step at a time.
- Thinking of you keeps me awake. Dreaming of you keeps me asleep. Being with you keeps me alive ~ Anonymous
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage ~ Lao Tzu
- Let there be spaces in your togetherness, and let the winds of the heavens dance between you ~ Kahlil Gibran
- Distance means so little, when someone means so much ~ Tom McNeal
- My dear, I think of you always and at night I build myself a warm nest of things I remember and float in your sweetness till morning ~ Zelda Fitzgerald
Will I Ever See You Again?
One of the most complex parts of a long-distance relationship is when you really miss your partner, and your heart starts playing tricks on you. You may start doubting your partner’s love and faithfulness, which leaves a bitter taste and often spills over into your conversations.
You might wonder if this is even worth it. This is when you need to be strong.
- Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation ~ Kahlil Gibran
- Never lose hope, and if you can, find the courage to love again ~ Danielle Steel
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell ~ Edna St. Vincent Millay
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk through my garden forever ~ Alfred Tennyson
- Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time ~ Maya Angelou
You’re So Close, Yet So Far
A long-distance relationship will test you, and it’s hard to feel so close to someone mentally but so far away physically. Humans are physical beings, and we thrive on human contact and touch. In these moments, you must remember that you’ll see one another again soon.
- I can’t wait until I can roll over at 2 am to find your lips instead of a text ~ Anonymous
- I exist in two places. Here, and where you are ~ Margaret Atwood
- The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart ~ Helen Keller
- I close my eyes, thinking that there is nothing like an embrace after an absence, nothing like fitting my face into the curve of his shoulder and filling my lungs with the scent of him ~ Jodi Picoult
- It’s not the distance that’s the enemy, but the endless time I have to wait until I hold you in my arms ~ Livius Besski
It’s Written in the Stars
Nothing worth having is ever easy, and this couldn’t be more true for long-distance relationships. You know without a doubt that this is your person, and you’re meant to be together, so you don’t mind the wait.
These beautiful quotes will help remind you of this fact.
- Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies ~ Aristotle
- I love her and that is the beginning and end of everything ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars ~ Gilbert Parker
- Where there is great love, there are always miracles ~ Willa Cather
- We were written in the stars, my love, all that separated us, was time, the time it took to read the map which was placed within our hearts, to find our way back to one another ~ Anonymous
Nothing Else Can Come Between Us
A long-distance relationship will test you, and you’ve been through so much already, from keeping the spark in your relationship alive to balancing a social life at home. Distance is one of the hardest things to deal with, but you’re making it work, so nothing else can stand in your way.
- Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness ~ Bertrand Russel
- Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky ~ Rainer Maria Rilke
- Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope ~ Maya Angelou
- There is a stage with people we love when we are no longer separate from them, but so close in sympathy that we live through them as directly as through ourselves … we push back our hair because theirs is in their eyes ~ Nan Fairbrother
- Nothing can separate two hearts that have found each other; together they will walk into eternity ~ Kristian Goldmund Aumann
Good Things Come to Those Who Wait
You won’t be apart forever, and someday soon, you’ll be in one another’s arms looking back at your long-distance relationship as a distant memory. Even though it’s hard, it’s definitely worth the wait.
- Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity ~ Henry van Dyke
- You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams ~ Dr. Seuss
- Absence is to love what wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small, it inflames the great ~ Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
- Missing someone gets easier everyday because even though you are one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will ~ Anonymous
- If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love ~ Princess Diana
I’m Jealous of the Rain
Jealousy and resentment are strong feelings that bubble up to the surface in most long-distance relationships. It’s hard to accept that your partner has a social life that you aren’t a part of physically.
It’s easy to fall into the jealousy trap and start projecting your insecurities onto your partner. This is perfectly understandable; you’re jealous of everyone else that gets to be around them, and you’d give anything to be there.
- But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it ~ Calla Quinn
- Love sees sharply, hatred sees even more sharp, but jealousy sees the sharpest for it is love and hate at the same time ~ Arab Proverb
- Jealousy is the fear of comparison ~ Max Frisch
- I was feeling insecure you might not love me anymore ~ John Lennon
- I wish I could be with you wherever you are and wherever you go everyday. Just so I wouldn’t have to miss you so ~ Anonymous
As you can see from these quotes, a long-distance relationship brings out some powerful emotions and feelings. With the added pressure of distance, these relationships can become very passionate or sadly fade away.
Ultimately, it depends on how you feel about being in a long-distance relationship, and you both need to decide if you are in it for the long haul. Remember, your relationship won’t always be like this, and before you know it, you’ll be together.
FOLLOW KRYSTYNA ON SOCIAL MEDIA